If you’ve got siblings then you’ll know that it’s one of the strangest relationships to have and it changes so much over the years. Siblings are the true ride or die. I’m sure there isn’t a single person that has a sibling that’s never wanted to stab them with a fork at the dinner table, unless your siblings are a lot younger than you and adorable as hell – then you’re just lucky.
I grew up with two big brothers who were a year apart and I was the annoying little sister trailing behind who they always made play in goal. I’m Libby Lampard nice to meet ya. How I would sum up my version of sibling love is ever since I was four my oldest brother has called me ‘Scroat’ and it’s actually a term of endearment, last year he wrote ‘To Alice’ in my birthday card and I asked him why he no longer loved me. Being a sibling is all about being a loving asshole.
Here’s 10 things having a sibling is all about:
1. No one will annoy you more than your sibling. Whether it’s them borrowing an item or clothing of yours without asking or eating something that you had dibs on. They’re infuriating but you’ll love them anyway.
2. No one will have your back like a sibling. Someone’s annoyed/hurt you? No one will be more ready to hate and bitch about that person like your brother/sister.
3. At least once a month your sibling will ask for a favour and you can’t deny it because they might get pissy to your parents.
4. It will always be your turn to do the mundane task if you’re the youngest. It will magically be your turn to do the wiping up even though it’s been your turn for the last 364 days.
5. Older siblings will always retaliate to the argument ‘I was here first’ with ‘no you weren’t I was born first so I was’. Every single time.
6. Meeting new people and introducing yourself just for them to say ‘Oh you’re ____’s sister/brother aren’t you?’. Yes, yes I am but I’m much better so shh now.
7. You will constantly be in competition with each other, especially when you’re young. Who can finish their dinner first? ‘The last one to the fence is a loser’, ‘I’m Mum’s favourite’ etc etc. Me and my brothers still like to compete on Mother’s Day/Christmas/My Mum’s birthday to see who can make her cry the most at their card. We’re a saddistic bunch.
8.Nothing is more creepy than your friends fancying your sibling, or your sibling fancying your friend. It’s the stuff nightmares are made of, constantly living in fear that you’ll come home one day and your friend will be sat on the sofa with your brother/sister being all affectionate and shit. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
9. Nine times out of ten they’ll have your back when it comes to your parents. I mean siblings are annoying but you know who’s more annoying? Adults trying to tell you not to do something. My brother once convinced my mum to let me stay off school because I was ‘obviously so unwell’ and I wasn’t, I was just really tired that day.
10. In all your life you will never have a friend quite like your sibling, they love you unconditionally and always have your back. One day they’ll be all you’ve got so you best watch out and not do too much nasty shit to them.
Do you have any brothers or sisters? Have you felt the struggles mentioned above? Let me know!
Until next time, I’m back off down the rabbit hole.